Tuesday 12 March 2013

Our Wedding: ceremony


We roped our close friend Chris in to officiating our wedding. He flew all the way to Toronto from his home country of Australia (with his lovely new fiancé Tina in tow) to celebrate with us! The service we came up with was rather slapdash but ended up being exactly what we were looking for.



Brett and his Ma and the wedding party walked down the aisle to Patsy Cline's "Today, Tomorrow, and Forever". Le sigh, isn't Patsy's voice just the loveliest? This was probably one of the first details I firmly decided upon when we got engaged. It couldn't have been a day all about love unless Patsy Cline was present!


My Dad and I walked in to Santo and Johnny's "Sleepwalk". I love how that song can embody such a wide range of emotions. I've heard it described as mournful or even sad (anyone recall the ending of La Bamba? Poor Ritchie). However I've always found it to be quite dream scape-ie and romantic.


This picture of my Papa always makes me a bit weepy. He's hugging me so hard he looks kind of like a muppet! (sorry Dad) It's just the sweetest.




Brett and I wrote our own vows to each other in secret and Chris put together a sweet, simple, and funny service to connect it all together. There were pledges of endless love, a few tears, and references to both the Princess Bride and the Crocodile Dundee of Australia. It was awesome.



After the big kiss we blasted David Bowie's "Modern Love" for our exit. I felt totally out of my body and at the same time hyper present. Walking through a sea of our closest friends and family who were all clapping and whooping it up in celebration for us is maybe one of my favourite memories of the whole day. It was certainly one of those rare real life movie moments you're lucky to get sometimes in life.




(photos by Lori Waltenbury)

No comments:

Post a Comment